Monday, January 9, 2012

Spicy California Roll

Kevin and I love sushi, but not the price. I recently got interested in making our own sushi. Turns out, it's not nearly as complicated as you think and it's super affordable!!

You'll need:
Rolling mat
Sushi rice (Short grain rice)
Rice vinegar
Seaweed paper (Nori)
Avocado
Imitation Crab meat
Tilapia (or white fish of your choice, you can also omit this part)
Mayonnaise (I use Kew pie, it's an asian mayonnaise, but any kind you have will work)
Siracha (Spicy sauce, or any spicy toping you might like, such as tabasco sauce)
Cucumber/Bell Pepper/Jalepeno (Optional, I didn't use it in this recipe)

Cook your rice according to the packaged directions. I add Rice Vinegar when the rice is finished cooking (about 1/2Tbsp per cup of rice) for flavor.
Then while waiting for the rice to cool down to a little for easier handling...
Cook the white fish of your choice (if you're choosing to use one) in a pan, no need to keep it all in one piece as you will be putting it in a food processor or blender shortly.
When the fish is cooked, put it in the food processor with the imitation (or real) crabmeat and blend. (I usually put a little mayonnaise and siracha in with the fish mixture) This will be your "filling" for your roll.

Then, get a small bowl of water. (this will be really useful for keeping the rice from sticking to your hands!

With the rough side of the seaweed facing upwards on the mat, wet your hands and begin to put the rice down in a layer that is thin, but thick enough to cover the seaweed. You want to go a little over halfway up the seaweed paper with the rice.

Lay down the "filling" you made earlier, and next to it place your avocado slices and any other seasonings/fillings you  might want to put inside (Jalepenos, green bell pepper slices, cucumber, etc.)



Roll the mat up starting at the end you filled first, roll tightly and slowly to ensure you're accurate. Keep rolling all the way!

Using a wet knife, slice the sushi into as many pieces as you want, I'm usually able to do about 8 pieces successfully.



Serve and Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are so cute! I love this! I've never tried making sushi before but I'm a little inspired after reading this! The only thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the taste of the seaweed wraps but I DO like it with the soy wraps. You could bring these for another tasting party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I just learned how to make this, I've done it successfully only once with the rice on the outside..all you do is flip the seaweed over before you roll it. (make sure you have some plastic wrap though so it doesn't stick to the mat.) I can't wait for our next tasting party!!

    ReplyDelete